Published on August 16th, 2012 | by Daniel0
The ‘Frankenweenie’ Soundtrack Features Robert Smith of ‘The Cure’, Karen O and Passion Pit
A number of acts have signed up to appear on the ‘Frankenweenie‘ soundtrack. They include Robert Smith of ‘The Cure’, Passion Pit and Karen O. At the same time we have been reliably informed that Grouplove, Skylar Grey and Winona Ryder have all contributed tracks to the set. Karen is a member of ‘Yeah Yeah Yeah’ and she has joined the cast for Tim Burton’s latest film project. We are told that the soundtrack will be released on the 25th of September. This is the same day that the film is going to be put out in the cinemas.
- More about the soundtrack: It features 14 songs with various contributors including Kimbra, The Flaming Lips, Neon Trees; Plain White T’s as well as an award-winning actress. The track ‘Strange Love’ by Karen O will be played in the closing credits. The singer says that it is an unconventional but unconditional love song.
Apparently Burton wanted something that was out of the ordinary for the closing credits and Karen provided it. She says that her inspiration was the era of B-Movie fright films and there are references throughout the song almost as if to prove a point. Karen said that she decided to go in the direction of calypso and exotica in terms of style but she still retains the quirky brand that has made her very famous. Apparently she loves the good vibes that music of that era elicits. In any case she says that ‘Frankenweenie‘ is a special film and she is honored to be part of it.
Using the stars to promote a major film
This is the second time that Karen O is being invited to feature on a major film through the use of her music. Recently she contributed the vocals to the cover of the ‘Immigrant Song’ by Led Zeppelin. This was used on the Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross soundtrack which eventually made its way to ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’. The tracklisting for the new project ‘Frankenweenie Unleashed’ is given below. It is followed by a link to a video sample:
- Karen O – ‘Strange Love’
- Neon Trees – ‘Electric Heart (Stay Forever)’
- Mark Foster – ‘Polartropic (You Don’t Understand Me)’
- Passion Pit – ‘Almost There’
- Plain White T’s – ‘Pet Sematary’
- Kimbra – ‘With My Hands’
- AWOLNATION – ‘Everybody’s Got a Secret’
- Kerli – ‘Immortal’
- Grace Potter featuring The Flaming Lips – ‘My Mechanical Friend’
- Imagine Dragons – ‘Lost Cause’
- Grouplove – ‘Underground’
- Skylar Grey – ‘Building A Monster’
- Robert Smith – ‘Witchcraft’
- Winona Ryder – ‘Praise Be New Holland’